I am not exactly sure why I have never written a monthly favorites post so far. But I can tell you that I religiously watch and read the monthly favorites posts. There’s just so much curiosity about why someone likes something and if it would be what I would like was well. So, I thought that maybe I can do an yearly favorites, as 2016 is finally over, thank god ! Without further ado, let’s get into products that I have loved this past year, which is a lot, as I can never narrow it down to a single product !
Cheeky Love: I feel like the past couple of years were the year of highlighters. everyone has wanted glowy, dewy skin with super highlighted and contoured cheeks.
CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE.
I have tried a lot over the past year but the ones that I reach the most for are the
- Estee Lauder x Victoria Beckham highlighter in Modern Mercury (LE, 65$, easily the most anticipated collaboration and collection this year)
- Dior Nude Air Luminizer in 001 (56$)
- Urban Decay Afterglow Highlighter in Sin (26$)
- Mac Whisper of Gilt in Sweet Copper Face Palette from Nutcracker Collection (LE, 35$)
- Too Faced Sweet Peach Glow (42$).
These are all different from one another, Modern Mercury and Dior Luminizer are the one I reach for the most, they are gelee like, and are stunning on the skin, very glossy like. The others are more powdery but pack a punch, Mac Whisper of Gilt has shot to the top of my favorite golden highlighter ever. Among cream highlighters, look no further than the Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops (42$).
I never thought I would ever like blush, but this has been an year of complete revelations for me. I have started to get slightly obsessed with blushes ! I know, so weird ! My top, top picks from all I have tried this year are the
- Tom Ford blush in Love Lust (60$)
- Marc Jacobs Airblush Soft Glow Duo (42$, pictured Flesh & Fantasy and Lines & Last Night)
- Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Blusher in Ecstasy (40$)
- Nars Unfiltered 1 Palette (LE,59$ currently available)
The Tom Ford blush is pure love for me, it is a stunning peachy pink shimmer and it looks stunning on, it’s not powdery and does not show any texture on my cheek. It is my top pick of the year. The Marc Jacobs Air Blushes are almost there, these are beautiful as well !
Charlotte Tilbury Ecstasy, is a novel concept of swirling the outer shimmery blush first and then popping the middle deeper shade on the high point of cheek. Lastly, the Nars Unfiltered 1 is a gorgeous selection of highlighter blushes and they are gorgeous, you need this, they stay on quite long and the palette is just amazing.
I have also fallen in love with bronzing and learning how to contour my round face ! And I fell in love with the
- Marc Jacobs Tantric Bronzer (49$)which I received as a deluxe sample, and realized what a difference it makes to my face !
- I graduated to the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow (68$), and the bronzer in here is quite cool making it more suitable for contouring. It did really sculpt my face but not in an obvious way.
- The Guerlain Terra India Bronzer (LE, 55$) is a shimmery pick, for when you need to add some bronze glow to the skin without looking too shimmery, just sun kissed.
- The bronzer that’s stolen my heart and is my favorite of the bunch is the Tom Ford Gold Dust bronzer (68$), this I can use for bronzing up or contouring, and it is warm with slight shimmer, yet looks so beautiful on !
On my face: I really do not experiment much with foundations or concealers ! I just stick to one or two products that I like and try something new only if I very curious. At the beginning of the year the It Cosmetics CC+ Illumination Cream with SPF50 (38$) was my favorite base product, it’s pretty good but not a CC cream at all, it’s definitely got medium to full coverage and needs blending well. Late in the year I tried out the Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint with SPF30 (44$) and this was love ! This actually improved the skin texture that I used to have on my cheeks. And while it is not a tinted moisturizer, more of a medium build able coverage, it blends effortlessly into the skin.
Among Primers, I love the Too Faced Hangover X Primer (32$), for my dry combination skin. It is quite moisturizing and my skin feels supple after. It isn’t a primer for longevity though. The other recent find that I’m loving is the First Aid Beauty Hello Fab Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer (28$). Though I have only tried it a couple of weeks back, I already like this even better than the Too Faced Hangover Primer, as this primer also is more glowy and has a slight skin tint, goes on really well and also makes my makeup last longer.
I also use the Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist (48$) sometimes as a primer before applying my makeup, but also to mesh all the products together after I apply my makeup. I literally use this everyday, I cannot leave the house without a few spritzes. It just makes everything look fresher and so much more glowy, and that’s something I love !
Eyes have it: There have been so many new releases this year that’s it been hard to narrow it down. And as you can see, I have majorly failed to get it down to a few.
While palette wise there have been quite a lot, my top picks are
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario (LE, 45$ while Anastasia Beverly Hills single eyeshadows have stolen my heart completely this year)
- Estee Lauder x Victoria Beckham Eye Palette (LE, 95$)
- Burberry Complete Eye Palette in Dark Spice (60$)
- Tom Ford Winter Soleil Palette in Warm (LE, 155$) and Honeymoon (80$)
- Le Metier de Beaute Day Eternal (LE, 75$).
And since I am a glitter addict, for when I need some extra sparkle, Huda Beauty Rose Gold Palette (65$) and Natasha Denona Star Palette (169$). There are also a lot of glitter eyeshadow singles this year, one of my all time favorites being the Surratt Beauty Prismatique Eyes (38$) and Tom Ford Cream and Powder Duos(60$).
Among cream eyeshadows, which are a must for me since I wear them as base, Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerise in Bette (32$) and Tom Ford Cream (45$) eyeshadows are my favorites in the pot form, while By Terry Ombre Blackstar (44$)are the most complex and gorgeous eyeshadow sticks.
My favorite mascara this year has been the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir (26$) mascara, it does smudge a tiny bit but otherwise, it just gives me the more amazing lashes. Whether I wear makeup everyday or not, if I am stepping out of the house, I need to use this.
Lip Love: There is no denying that liquid lipsticks have shot to the top of the game. So much so that even luxury brands have put out their version of liquid lipsticks.
And while I love my matte liquid lipsticks, I also love traditional lipsticks. The ones that rocked my boat this year are
- Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick (18$)
- Smashbox Always On Lipstick (24$)
- Christian Louboutin Lip Color (90$)
- Armani Lip Magnet (38$)
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche (26$)
- Nars Velvet Lip Glide (26$)
- Tom Ford Lips & Boys (36$)
Phew ! That was a super long post and one that I have been finishing so lazily. I am sure there are loads that I have forgotten to mention, as it has been an overwhelming year (like Nars Hardwired eyeshadows)
Personally, for me, this was an year of Tom Ford. Everything that I have used from Mr. Ford this year has been amazing !
SHOP THE POST